compositions

Thursday 7 February 2013

Thinking back to the mid sixties I remember Glyn Hughes (Whiskey on a Sunday) penning a couple of songs about other Liverpool streets , one now a ghost street and the other "Re-developed" and I have the bait out in the murky pool of my memory and I am waiting for these fishes to swim to the hook , I have odd snatches that I recall and the skeleton is reforming . These songs were sung by Jimmy English , indeed one of them was penned by Glyn for Jimmy back in 65/66
Jimmy used to sing rock n roll in the "Dive" in Brythen street in the old markets area of Liverpool , a fantastic rambling warren of stalls selling anything and everything ! This was the only fully licensed street in the city  , I was told , Housing "The Dive" "The Dart" and The Roebuck" --All pubs ,  To complete the deal the last shop was a tobacconists.
Anyway , Digging around I found this page and here's a link for the enjoyment of the Liverpool historians.
http://www.sevenstreets.com/city-living/liverpools-ghost-streets-bevington-bush/

And here's Jim. Taken during his "Residency" at the Court house pub in Commutation row circa 1964/5

Crooked Lane by Glyn Hughes
As sung by Jimmy English.

The sun shines bright on Rio
And likewise Lima town
And far across the Southern seas
The dawn shines like a crown
But I'd rather be in Liverpool
Listening to the Rai--ain
As it rattles on my window pane
In cozy crooked lane.
Crooked la--ane
Crooked La--ane
Cozy Cozy Crooked lane.
*

Farewell to Valpariso
 And Gibraltar's burning rock
My heart it goes where the Mersey flows
Down by the Wapping dock
I'm Sailing home to Liverpool
Across the foaming mai--ain
To sit beside my Inglenook
In Cozy Crooked lane.
*
Chorus. 

I'm trying to get the tune written out but I might need a bit of help with that.
The tune has a strange key change in the middle which I could never master back then because the notes werent on a flageolet .
 Perhaps I should have tried another instrument???

Crooked lane in the 30's


4 comments:

  1. Wow! Keep digging away; it would be fascinating to discover more songs from Glyn Hughes. He had a sister who lived (still lives?) around Formby or Crosby, but I don't recall her married name. I wonder if somebody has got his unpublished materials?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well worth a thought Mathew. Jimmy here depicted , despite his "Cabaret" appearance was a great folk'ish player and we had a little trio and worked around Wigan working men's clubs and pubs---Happy days!! It would be great to try and find Glyn's family! his stuff really needs to be better recorded than the current situation affords??

      Delete
  2. Good to hear you sing 'Crooked Lane' today (21 Feb) in the Belvedere; - somehow I didn't notice the lyrics you had posted above the last time I looked. Liverpool Central Library has a copy of a some letters exchanged by Glyn and the writer T F Powys which Glyn's sister donated - when the library reopens I'll look them up.
    Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that will be interesting to see , is there electronic copy D'y think??

    ReplyDelete