compositions

Sunday 24 March 2013

Sam sherry's waltz



I remember watching Sam at the Milnthorpe civic hall in '70. Went with the inimitable Ray Parsons and we then adjourned to the 'Bull for a few jars before going home to HH. Where I straightway commissioned Charlie Brown to make me a pair of clogs! Charlie was one of the last lakeland clogmakers , his was the last shop in Hawkeshead village, The Queens head still displays the "Hawkeshead Girt clog" which belonged to the local ratcatcher who had a bad foot. No good for dancing but great for stamping on rats??
I  recall that Sam also sang "I must go where the wild goose goes"

2 comments:

  1. That was lovely to watch! There is a great DVD of Sam Sherry produced by the English Folk Song and Dance Society, which has a lot of his songs and dances. I keep meaning to learn his sausage song.

    Matthew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sausage song Eh? Diddnt hear that one , I must have a look for it!! I love the ending to this when the girls start leaping in the air :)))))

      Delete