compositions

Thursday 11 November 2010

History

I started playing in 1963 when I was a member of Edge hill BR. Band, Flugel horn!-- Fine instrument but I always wanted to play strings!-- No cash and no idea No instrument!! I bought a bowl back mandolin from an old Kitchen porter for £2 It was by "Fratelli Hasserman " Napoli. Re strings done at Frank Hessy in Liverpool!
The ghosts of the Beatles  were still lurking in the area!!! I just wanted to play folk!-- The late great Jim Gretty re strung it for me for 12/6!!--62.5P Ha!! The times they were a changin And I dicovered the "Green Moose" coffee bar. Bohemian and fascinating  peopled by the Liverpool folk set and I was overawed!!  I was working in the city centre as a chef in a department store and when the shop shut I used to go and sit in the ruins of the Albert dock and wait for the crowd to start filling "Dominic Reagans"--The Trawler Public house opposite the dock  --What a night!! What a din!! What fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment